Wednesday, May 21, 2003
Still figuring out a way to keep this updated. I'm scribbling down notes in my notebook as they happen and hoping to expand them as I blog them down. I'm beginning to wish I had brought a laptop after all or had a cell-phone or pda to transmit my notes digitally as I go along. Tonight I got carried away looking up books related to several topics I was interested in so will continue to be somewhat backlogged as I catch up on happenings.
To quickly summarize today, I went to Shibuya after class and wandered around. Random observations: two Haagen Daas within several blocks of each other(both promoting green tea ice cream), many school girls with sailor suits, several midgets, many slot machine/game places with Cinderella-dress/crown person at one and bubble-blowing girl at another trying to invite people in, 100 Yen Store, many Western chains (Tower, McD, KFC, Tower),monitors on buildings, neon lights that came on as night came, cute little dogs packed in their owner's bag, people hanging out in front of station, diagonal or triangular crosswalks where you couldn't cross in either direction while traffic flowed and pedestrians on both sides walked at same time(from above the flow looked incredible).
It was a little difficult getting home with confusion over the different lines and uncertainty since the map doesn't show stops for my particular line, but a nice couple helped me when they noticed I was confused at the fare adjustment station. When I finally got home, I asked my Japanese "mom"about traditional Japanese items since I have to bring cultural artifacts to class tomorrow and she went all out and showed me several things whose name I will have to get from her again since I already forgot.
To quickly summarize today, I went to Shibuya after class and wandered around. Random observations: two Haagen Daas within several blocks of each other(both promoting green tea ice cream), many school girls with sailor suits, several midgets, many slot machine/game places with Cinderella-dress/crown person at one and bubble-blowing girl at another trying to invite people in, 100 Yen Store, many Western chains (Tower, McD, KFC, Tower),monitors on buildings, neon lights that came on as night came, cute little dogs packed in their owner's bag, people hanging out in front of station, diagonal or triangular crosswalks where you couldn't cross in either direction while traffic flowed and pedestrians on both sides walked at same time(from above the flow looked incredible).
It was a little difficult getting home with confusion over the different lines and uncertainty since the map doesn't show stops for my particular line, but a nice couple helped me when they noticed I was confused at the fare adjustment station. When I finally got home, I asked my Japanese "mom"about traditional Japanese items since I have to bring cultural artifacts to class tomorrow and she went all out and showed me several things whose name I will have to get from her again since I already forgot.
Comments:
Post a Comment